Schroeder Summer Science!

Friends~We are trying very hard in North Carolina to find ways to keep cool and that means the pool or indoor activities.  The pool is free but the indoor stuff can get pricy so I have been trying to find fun things we can do at home.

I was lucky enough to be contacted by Lakeshore Learning Materials a few weeks ago about reviewing a few of their products so My Summer Science has taken a fun turn!  This week we are playing with color and light.
Here is the kit I recieved from Lakeshore:


This kit is filled with tons of items for children to experience color and light with.  There are easy to follow experiment cards and lots of hands on tools.

Now on to the fun!  The color wands worked easily to make different colors.  Great for color identification and color mixing.  Lily and Ian love to paint and mix colors so this is less messy way for them to mix:)

Check out Ian exploring the color frames!
We also loved the flashlight!  Shadow puppets are a favorite at our house at bedtime so we totally enjoyed experimenting with it!

He told me that it is a worm if you can't figure it out!  I also like to let my 2nd graders spell their words using flashlights or use them to spotlight words in the classroom.  The possibilities are endless!

Here is one of the experiments from the kit.  So simple to make a shadow of the bear with the flashlight.  We talked about how the bear blocks the light from the flashlight to create the shadow.  It was so cute to see Ian's eyes light up when he got the concept!


This one took us a minute to figure out but once we did it was high fives all around!  So cool!

You can download a FREE copy of my Shadow Detectives activity by clicking the image below.  It makes a perfect compliment to Lakeshore's I Can Kit!
Be sure to follow my store if you download so that you don't miss any other free or paid items!  I just added 3 new back to school units that are perfect for those first few getting to know you weeks!

Be sure to head over and check out Lakeshore's other Can Do Science Kits!  I am loving the magnets and motion kits!  I think they will be on the agenda for Schroeder Summer Science!

You can also stay updated on all of Lakeshore's fun by liking their Facebook Page!  Right now they have directions to make this darling 4th of July Hat!  Click the image below to check it out!


Photobucket

3 comments

  1. Thanks for the science freebie!! I really like these Can-Do Science Kits. I think my students would really be engaged with them. Thanks for sharing about them!
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Monica,

    I nominated you for The Versatile Blogger Award. Come by and check it out.

    Innovate, Create and Relate

    Cheers,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your summer science is so fun. :) I am your newest follwer.

    Erica
    Sprinkles to Kindergarten
    erica_crowder0612@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Extra, extra tell Mrs. Schroeder about it!