Calendar Journal Tips

Friends~I have had some questions since my last post about how I use my calendar journals in class.  You can read my post about these cute journals by giving them a click below!  You also can download a copy of my printable labels too!


To answer the questions that I have had about my calendar journals I have to tell you that I do my entire calendar on my Smartboard.  I transitioned to this 3 years ago and it works beautifully!  I started by creating my sign in attendance board.  You can see it below.  Students enter my classroom and pull their number up to the I AM Here part of the board.  Before we begin calendar my attendance person announces the attendance to me and then pulls the pieces down. (Each month has a different sign in board and calendar feel:)

We then move into our calendar routine.  It is basically the same as I am sure some of you use.  All of the numbered calendar pieces move so that my students can create the calendar one day at a time.(You can check out my calendars by clicking the August calendar below.  They are all pre made and ready to go:)


We label the day of the week and graph the weather!


 I also have songs in my calendars to sing and some linked to play. 


 During the calendar time,  my students have their Calendar (Half Composition) Books and a pencil.  I start the beginning of the school year off training my students how to record our Daily Data!  I use this simple format.  The skills become more challenging as the school year progresses.  This is what I start with.

I used to use a paper copy of a similar sheet that I copied and put into books but with budget cuts I have had to find ways to save copies and paper.  I have found that my students do well with this format.
With the new Common Core Speaking and Listening Standards the idea of starting students on basic note taking during a presentation isn't a bad idea in fact, this activity fits perfectly!

2.SL.2 2. Recount or describe key ideas or details from a text read aloud or information presented orally or through other media.

I also want to apologize to those who participated in the Luna giveaway with Learning Resources.  I had chosen a winner and have waited a few weeks for that person to contact me and they have not.  So...I picked a new winner!  

 
So very excited to give The Luna Projection Camera from Learning Resources away!  I love mine and am using it at home with my kiddos and my tutoring friends!   


Photobucket

5 comments

  1. I love the calendar journal idea! What a great way to ensure engagement as well as addressing the common core! Thank you for sharing how you use this in your classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I will have to try to make some WHEN my Smart Notebook software works again!

    Stop by my blog sometime.
    :)
    Tamera
    http://myheartbelongsinfirst.blogspot.com
    Kaizactan2001@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of the 1/2 book for a calendar journal! Do your students copy the information from that small piece of paper into their journals or is it projected for them to copy? Any more specific details would be much appreciated.

    Lisa
    schmidlj@milwaukee.k12.wi.us

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have so many of these notebooks! I love this! BTW, make sure you stop by my blog and join because my first giveaway is going live in less than 24 hours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the same question/desire for more info as Lisa.

    Molly

    psychedtobeinsecond.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Extra, extra tell Mrs. Schroeder about it!