Bright Idea: Story Souvenir

Friends~Welcome to another Bright Idea post!  Today I am going to share with you one of my favorite ways to connect home and school.  Story Souvenirs!  They are super easy to do and my students from K-2 have loved them. (So, have their parents!)  
Have you ever gotten your own child home and asked what they did at school and the response was...I don't know or nothing?????  Well, a story souvenir will take care of that in a jiffy!
Yes, story souvenirs are an extra step and sometimes cost a bit but they are so effective!  You can make them as elaborate as you want or as simple as you need.  
Sometimes, I add a poem or a quote from the story. 

We might make a hat in class or I will print off a coloring page of a character.  I try to be consistent in how I send them home so that my parents know what to look for. I simply use a sandwich bag or a gallon bag with a label that reads Story Souvenir: Ask me!
 (This was our Hedgehog hat last year.  I sent it home in a gallon bag.) We read this nonfiction animal book.  
  
Story Souvenirs can be used with any type of book.  Check out some of my fun examples below!
Swedish fish, Grocho Marx glasses, Cookie Crisp, Crayon Erasers.  
Be sure that is you have a food allergy you stay away from edible souvenirs. 
Bugles(Shark Teeth), dinosaur puzzles ($ Store), plastic spiders ($ Store).  
Once you get going you will be able to come up with tons of possible ideas!
Birthday candles, vampire teeth ($ Store), Dem Bones Candy, Eye Patches ($ Store). 
 I don't do a story souvenir for ever book I read but I try to do one for each theme.  Believe me, once you start the kiddos will remind you! 

If you liked this post, I would love for you to follow me on Pinterest, Instagram and on my Facebook page!

Be sure to head back to the linky and checkout all the other great Bright Ideas! 


 photo signature-39.png

   

    An InLinkz Link-up
   

No comments

Post a Comment

Extra, extra tell Mrs. Schroeder about it!