Classroom Management: My top 10 Dismissal Tips and Tricks PLUS 3 Freebies!

Classroom Management: My Top 10 Dismissal Tips and Tricks PLUS 3 Freebies!
Friends~Dismissal is always a touchy area in elementary classrooms.  Here are tips that I have used from the past to help get your kiddos out the door in an orderly fashion.  

    Tip #1: Hang any dismissal reminders on your classroom door frame or use a wipe board so that when changes are made you don't forget anything.  
Classroom Management: My top 10 Dismissal Tips and Tricks! , The Schroeder Page
 Tip #2: I always have my students pull out anything that they need from their desks and place it on top before coming to the floor for our afternoon meeting. 
      Tip #3: Always have an afternoon meeting.  Even if it is only a couple seconds.  Students need some time to decompress before packing up and it is a great time for you to go over reminders. 
      Tip #4: Send them back by rows or tables so that you don't have a mad rush at the mailboxes or cubbies.  I often will send one row to get their mail first and the next row I will have them grab their book bags first.  That way we are all packing up but in different locations. 
     Tip #5: Have your table captains straighten up caddies and stack chairs.  My captains also fold up my rugs and stack my stools so the custodians can sweep.  It is just one less thing I have to take card of when I get back.  
     Tip #6: Often I will end our afternoon meeting by beginning our chapter book read aloud so that they can listen while they pack.  My students are always into our read aloud books so they try really hard to be extra quiet so that they can hear.  The best part is, when they are packed they come to the carpet- I am still reading.  It makes the end of our day a little less chaotic. 
We just finished the book Waiting for Magic!
Classroom Management: My top 10 Dismissal Tips and Tricks!, The Schroeder Page
     Tip #7: Do some kind of exit slip.  For me, I have a hard time having enough time for students to do any writing.  I use this chant instead.  I start the chant and the class echoes back.  I then get to ask 5 different questions from throughout the day.  
Tip#8: Once you get your kiddos lined up or even in the hall.  Use a song or chant to help remind them of good hallway behavior.  (When we dismiss, we all line up outside our classrooms and wait for the bell.)  Our hallway wait is usually a little crazy so I taught our 2nd graders the songs below.  They have become pretty popular.  Our thirds graders are starting to join in. 
Download all these songs and chants by clicking the image below and heading to my September Freebies!



Classroom Management: My top 10 Dismissal Tips and Tricks!, The Schroeder Page
 We also love Teacher Tipster's Hallway songs!


     Tip#9: Reflect on your day. Take a minute and think about what was great and what needed work.  Set goals for yourself as a teacher for the next day.  I always leave my desk tidy with a note on top with items that I need to accomplish but also goals for the next day.

Classroom Management: My top 10 Dismissal Tips and Tricks!, The Schroeder Page
     Tip #10: Before you shut your door.  Compliment a student or 2.  Sometimes I send a quick email to a parent telling what their kiddo did that was extra special.  Sometimes write a note on their desk with a dry erase marker.  I love seeing their smiling faces when they see a message at their seat. 
Classroom Management: My top 10 Dismissal Tips and Tricks!, The Schroeder Page
I love to read your comments!  So chat it up below friends:)

Do you follow my Teach It 2nd Grade board on Pinterst?
Lots of great classroom management tips!




Photobucket

No comments

Post a Comment

Extra, extra tell Mrs. Schroeder about it!