EEEK! Spiders!

Friends~Today in room 331 we will dive into the world of Spiders.  I am so excited for my kiddos because they are just coming off the world of bats and I know this is going to totally rock their little scientific worlds.  They are just gobbling up research and nonfiction books.  I thought I might share a few of the things that I set the stage with to bring the Arachnid world to life for my students.

The first thing I do is print out vocabulary words for spiders and lots of real photos of spiders from the web.  I cut, mount, and laminate to scatter through my Science Center and the rest of the classroom.  I love to tuck these little treasures all over because you never know when you are going to need a spider word or photo:)


I then head off and drape my classroom in spiderwebs from the Halloween section.  It is fun to stick some plastic spiders and some vocabulary words in the webs too.  I also try to make some different web types like the triangular web or the orb web for my students to see.  
Click below to view some of the different webs!


I also am adding these Vocabulary Boxes to my Buddy Reading Center this week.  My students love to read in pairs and this sheet will keep them on track while they are hunting for new vocabulary words about spiders.
 Click the image do download a FREE copy for Spiders by Gail Gibbons.  


We will also learn about the life cycle of a spider and how the babies "Balloon."  Which means that create their own little parachutes and glide away.  My "plan" is to have my students try to create parachute spiders with plastic spiders, string, plastic bags and small pieces of tissue paper.  We shall see how this goes.  I think it will be a fun trial and error assignment.  I will keep you posted on how it goes:)

You can check out more of my Spider fun in my Let's Learn All About Spiders!  Be sure to click the image below to view my preview and download another freebie or 2:)  It is 48 pages of Spider FUN!


Photobucket

No comments

Post a Comment

Extra, extra tell Mrs. Schroeder about it!