5 Summer Tips to STOP the I'm BORED!

Friends~I am going to share my summer tips for keeping your kiddos busy-no more I'm BORED!

As a teacher and a Mommy,  I get to experience both sides of the summer game.  I get to spend some much needed down time away from my job and get to spend some relaxing time with my own kiddos.  

With that being said, it is not all sprinkles and rainbows at my house.  I totally hear the I'm BORED! Or we fight over how long is too long with the TV or iPad or Kindle or DS or anything with a screen.  

This pin has been floating around and it has really inspired me to provide activities for my family to keep us off the I'm BORED list! I think it links back to the blog I Lift Heavy Things but it is not a direct link. 
(I made my own visual for my kiddos if you want to grab a copy just click the printable below.)
   5 Summer Tips to STOP the I'm BORED! : The Schroeder Page
I thought I would share with you some of the tips and tricks I have come up with to keep my kiddos active and engaged in the summer.  

#1 Set one day a week to head to the library!  There are more than just books.   It sounds simple but your local library packs a big punch in summer learning.  
(There are even computers that you kiddos can use some of their educational websites on.)
All libraries are different but many of them offer classes and clubs for the summer.  
Better yet, head to a library that is not your local one.  Often times you can visit nearby libraries and check out what they have to offer and still grab books for your family.  
Below is our local library and their activity calendar for July. 
5 Summer Tips to STOP the I'm BORED! : The Schroeder Page  
#2 Stay active!  Take a walk or head to a local park. We love to head to the metro-park near our house for miniature golf, paddle boats, and fishing. We also like to get a group of friends together to go on a picnic.  Peanut butter and jelly always tastes better outdoors!  
5 Summer Tips to STOP the I'm BORED! : The Schroeder Page

We totally get a kick out of a good scavenger hunt!  Check out these great FREE printables from How to Nest for Less!
5 Summer Tips to STOP the I'm BORED! : The Schroeder Page
#3 This may seen a bit nutty but pass out the soup cans and do an exercise video with your kiddos! 
(You use some weights of course.)  Not only will you get some exercise in, your kiddos will love trying out some of the tricky moves.  
(Keep in mind they will look hilarious too!) 
Check out GoNoodle.  It is a free site that also incorporates learning and movement!  
5 Summer Tips to STOP the I'm BORED! : The Schroeder Page
This is the video I am using now.  
We love some Jillian in our house! 
   
(If you are an Amazon Prime member be sure to check out Jillian's videos on instant play.  I know for sure the Yoga Meltdown is free if you are a Prime member.)
#4 Get Planting and cooking!  We planted strawberries this year and made our own strawberry jam.  It was so delicious and fun to put together.  My kiddos are lucky that their grandma lives with them and is an avid gardener.  They have learned so much from her!
 (Click the image to grab the recipe!)
Just for something nice, we shared some jam with friends and neighbors.  The kiddos were so cute knocking on doors with jam in hand!
5 Summer Tips to STOP the I'm BORED! : The Schroeder Page
#5 Summer Science is a total favorite at my house! I love getting messy.  My little guy told me I was the best mommy the other day because I let him dissect an owl pellet.  It actually was pretty disgusting and cool at the same time.  Click the video to see what we have been up to this week!
We also have been bubbling it up with Bubble Science
Please note: In the video, my daughter asks what he is doing and he tells her he is blowing bubbles.  Her words, "I'm pausing the game." A video game that is!
Music to my ears!
      

I sure hope you found something fun to try out with your family.  Leave a comment with any fun ideas you use so I can join in!  
Photobucket

No comments

Post a Comment

Extra, extra tell Mrs. Schroeder about it!