Why my class LOVES Spelling Homework!

Bright lights, Spelling City!  Oops the song says Big city!  In my classroom, we sing Spelling City!  It is this incredible interactive website for students to practice their spelling and vocabulary words.  Plus tons more!  I have been using Spelling City for around 4 years now and I love it:)  Spelling homework can be a no fun zone for many students and I have always been a firm believer that if you make the work meaningful and fun you will get better results.
Spelling City does just that.  The technology + game feel makes it an easy sell for students as homework.  Each school year, I send home list of hands on activities to get my parents started with making spelling fun.  I suggest things like: making words in playdough
                                       writing words in shaving cream on the counter
                                       tickle spelling
                                       tracing words in cornmeal
                                       & SPELLING CITY!
Each Friday, I assign our weekly words and the students then take them home in a composition book.  They are to practice their words 4 times each week.  We have our Whiz Quiz on Friday! Some students need to write the words, so they do.  Others need more hands on so the parent writes how the words were practiced and initials.  Spelling City is always one of the top repeated activities. 

Watch this quick video and see just how easy it is!

There are so many different options with Spelling City.  One being the free program, teachers can save spelling lists on their home page and students can access the lists by searching their teacher's name.  There are several games that students can play and also take practice tests with.  Below is some information from the site just for teachers. 
I asked a parent to load all of my lists on to my page at the beginning of the year and it has worked perfectly ever since.  Students can even add the words themselves.  Just don't tell them that it is extra practice!
Out of all of the games Hang Mouse, Unscramble, & Letter Fall are some of my students favorites.  
Along with games students can practice sentence writing, paragraph writing, and vocabulary.  This is so great for my ESL learners!   Above you see some of my sweet kiddos playing Letter Drop and searching through all of the fantastic games. 
Below is a preview of the Basic and Premium memberships.  I started with the basic but just recently moved to the Premium.  The premium allows me to better track my students progress, create assignments, give students logins, & tons more games!

I highly encourage you to check out this site and give the basic membership a try!  You won't be disappointed. 
If you don't believe me listen to my friend below...she is a SPELLING CITY fan!


Photobucket

5 comments

  1. I LOVE Spelling City! My lists are already on there...it is an awesome tool for kids! =)
    Jennifer
    First Grade Blue SKies

    ReplyDelete
  2. VocabularySpellingCity rocks! Games which are totally linked to our learning objectives, yea! My students’ favorites games:

    Alphabetical Order, Unscramble, Parts of Speech, Hangman(HangMouse), Crossword Puzzle, WordSearch, and Word-O-Rama Game Show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Spelling City! I am a new follower and am so happy I just found your blog!

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  4. VocabularySpellingCity is amazing! I have a premium membership so I assign my class certain activities to do each night for homework and if I need to differentiate instruction for a specific child it is not a problem. My students never complain about doing spelling homework and that makes me very happy. They really like Unscramble, Missing Letter and their favorite is SpeedySpeller (Premium Membership).

    There are so many wonderful features on VSC that it seems like my options are limitless. Students do not just have to use it for spelling, but they can use it to help them with parts of speech, sentence writing and Math and Science vocabulary. The fun just never ends!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spelling City is such a brilliant idea! I have been thinking about using too for my 6th graders. Do you need signed parental approval in order to use it?

    ReplyDelete

Extra, extra tell Mrs. Schroeder about it!