The Great Clock Race!

Happy Friday Friends!
I am just getting my centers finished while my kiddos are in specials and I just had to stop for a second and show you the results of our Great Clock Race!
We have been working on telling time this month.  My class was really struggling so I was racking my brain to find a way to help them.  So that is when I decided to motivate them a bit by combining our past graphing unit with a telling time activity.  I searched the web and found some clock practice sheets for telling time to the hour, half, and quarter hour.  I then placed a sheet each day on my student's desks.  The were required to work on the practice sheets and turn them in before my mini lesson.  The next day they would get their clocks back graded.  I had them cut out their clocks and we built the graph below!
Immediately,  I started to notice a difference in their attending in class.  They were paying more attention during lessons, bringing me sheets from home showing that they were practicing, & working with the hands on clocks too.  They were excited!

Today, however, was the end of the race.  We have moved into double digit addition.  We completed one more practice sheet and I send a plastic clock home for them to practice with earlier in the week.  This morning we headed to the hall and added our final clocks.  We had a very close race!  I had 2 students with 24 and my friend Logan ended with 25!  His mom is allowing me to share his photo below!

 Here is his fun prize!  Now he can practice all of the time!
Congratulations LOGAN and the Rest of my Math CLUB!


Photobucket

6 comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a great idea :) My kiddos have been struggling with telling time so much this year! This seems like a really great way to motivate them :) Have a great night!

    Lisa :)
    Made In The Shade In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! He'll remember that race forever because of that watch!

    Buzzing with Ms. B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Friends,
    Thanks for all the sweet comments. I am so proud of my crew!
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome idea! We're doing our time unit right now and I'm going to start this tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So these were the clocks from the practice pages they did in class? Did they just glue the clocks that they got correct? How many clocks were on a page?

    Sorry for all the questions, but I think this is a great idea and want to fully understand before I implement in my class! :)

    ReplyDelete

Extra, extra tell Mrs. Schroeder about it!