Does Everyone Get the COOKIE?

Last month,  I was contacted and asked to review a book called The End of Molasses Classes by Ron Clark.  I was sent an incredible excerpt from his book to read over. I also read an amazing article called What Teachers Really Want to Tell Parents by Ron. I then watched his commercial and I was hooked.  I have spent much of the beginning of the school year squeezing in reading because this book is so heartfelt and real.  I am inspired every time I open the cover.  The stories of dedicated parents, teachers, and friends grace the pages and allow you to make connections to your family and students.

 
When I started planning this post I wanted to make be sure that I talked about all of the many ways I am using Ron's Core Principles and Values daily in my classroom now. 

 Here are a few of my favorites below!
#2
Not Every Child Deserves a Cookie.
I pondered this for a long time and I realized that I too am guilty of giving out the "cookie" to my own children and students when it was not truly earned.  Why? Mostly to avoid an issue whether it was a melt down at home or an upset parent.

I am happy to report that we are now earning ALL of our cookies in my classroom and learning how to deal with not getting one.  I have always been a firm believer in not rewarding behaviors that are expected.  Meaning students/children are supposed to follow directions and if they are not it is my job to teach them how.  I reward extraordinary behavior...above and beyond. 
Remember...The cookie always tastes better when you have more than earned it.  
Another Principle that is a bit new for me and a surprise that I am guilty of this too is the idea of "Wait Time."
#54
Give Children a chance to respond and don't give up to quickly.

I am a fast person by nature.  I always have a hard time when I call on a student and they sit there and don't answer.  I usually call on another student and then refer back to to the first student who did not answer.  I though I was helping the first student but after reading Ron's words I realized that I was not helping that child at all. I was giving them a bailout and allowing them to melt into the walls.  

I decided to combine #54 and # 65

#65
Encourage Children to Cheer for one another.
Now in my classroom...when I call on someone and they don't answer I begin a small chant.  "You can do it, you can do it, if you put your mind to it!"  At first the class was hesitant to join in but now they are pros at cheering each other on. I am happy to say that in the past 11 days of school I have called on all of my students and they ALL have answered.

Now on to my new GOAL!  I totally want to become Slide Certified!   Read all about it in Ron's Book!  I am saving up to visit the Ron Clark Academy and make my dream come true.  In the mean time I am practicing at home!

Photobucket

6 comments

  1. I just bought the book and am so excited to read it. I love Ron Clark. Thanks for giving me a little more motivation to get reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Schroeder,
    I am a pre-service teacher and just finished reading the Essential 55 for one of my classes and of course, I LOVED IT! Well, the other day I registered to hear Ron Clark speak at a conference in October AND I ordered The End of Molasses Classes! Your post has really motivated me to start reading this book! Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I hope you get to become "slide certified".. hehe!

    adventuresoffutureteacher.blogspot.com

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've convinced me! I loved the Essential 55, and can't wait to read this one, too!

    Sally from Elementary Matters

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ron's school is AMAZING!!!!! :) I am slide certified!!! You will LOVE every minute of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your review! I am in the middle of reading and will be posting my review soon! I am also hosting a book study with the authors of TBA and anyone else who is interested. I would love for you to join us. If you would like to host a few principles, please email me at pinksmyink@gmail.com.

    faithfulinfirst.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so want to get and read this book! (Unfortunately, free reading time is practically nonexistent right now!) Ron Clark came to our school cluster to speak during preplanning. He was phenomenal! I can only imagine how inspiring his book is after hearing him!

    ReplyDelete

Extra, extra tell Mrs. Schroeder about it!